Saturday, April 30, 2011

How to pack?

This is going to be a bit of a challenge. We want to pack very light (one backpack each and a small carry on) so we can use public transport the entire time. I have opted not to rent or borrow a car.  We thought it would be interesting to use the vast system of planes, buses, trains, taxis and other modes of transportation available in Europe. The thing is we have to be completely mobile.

To make things more challenging, we are going to need warm clothes, and our wet weather stuff, for the sailing trip, as well as some slightly dressier duds for our urban adventures.

The most difficult thing is probably footwear. Shoes are incredibly bulky things to pack. Especially with size 13 feet! Its like strapping skiis on the outside of my pack. I figure I need some sailing shoes, a good pair of walking shoes, running shoes, and some sandals. The walking shoes need to be dressy-ish, but also need to be good solid shoes because much of the time I'll be carrying a pack while I'm wearing them.

Another dilemma is a sports jacket, or something I can wear to dress up my usually untidy look. Wear do you pack that in a backpack? Do I wear it all the time? Maybe I can have a pair of shoes in my pockets?

We are also toting a computer, cameras, phones and all the rest of that pile of crap that everyone carries everywhere these days. We bought a small netbook, and the smallest decent camera we could find. I even have a tiny little short wave radio (for Radio Canada International!)

But there is still those damn size 13 boats I've gotta pack!


I just remembered we've also gotta pack towels and sleeping bags. Nightmare!

No comments:

Post a Comment