Friday, May 6, 2011

Into the short strokes now.

We don't leave for another two days, but we've packed everything in our packs, as a trial run, to make sure it all fits. I bought a new bag to use. The MEC Walkabout fit me, and it held all the stuff I need to bring at a total weight of merely 25 pounds. (I wonder what I will forget) Hopefully it will survive the trip. Just to follow up on the shoes thing, I'm ditching the sandals. Simply no room.

I am even more excited about our leisurely cruise on the canals of Oxford now. Here is Silver Swift , the boat we have chartered for a week. We pick it up at the Oxford base and wander from there. Several routes available to us in the area. Hopefully the sides of the canals are littered with olde English public houses and other interesting places to visit.

The other wet aspect of our Eurodash is cruising out of the British Kiel Yacht Club in Kiel Germany.  We (along with 2 other couples) have chartered a Comfortina 42 named Osprey for 10 days from the BKYC. Access to this boat was made possible by our new friends (and soon to be in-laws) who work with the British Forces in Germany. Nice work!  I have brought pennants from the clubs we are  members of (CFSA and RVYC) to leave at the BKYC.

Because I am not familiar with the area, I am not sure where we'll be going or how far away anything is, but it looks to me like Copenhagen and the coast of Denmark are certainly doable. Funny how the ticket requirement for the master of the boat is a non-tidal license. I have heard that tides are almost non-existent in the Baltic. That will be a nice change from here. A five knot boat in a four knot tide sucks 50% of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment